The Million Girls Moonshot seeks to re-imagine who can engineer, who can build, who can make. It will inspire and prepare the next generation of innovators by engaging one million more girls in STEM learning opportunities through afterschool and summer programs over the next 5 years.
Beyond School Bells is excited to announce the national launch of the Million Girl Moonshot (MGM). This is a multi-year initiative led by STEMnext to reimagine who can engineer, who can build, and who can make cool stuff. The goals of MGM are to inspire and prepare the next generation of innovators by engaging 1 million more girls and underrepresented youth in STEM learning opportunities through afterschool and summer programs and to help alter the workforce trajectory for youth of all ages by creating a school to career pipeline of inclusive STEM learning. Throughout 2021 and beyond, Beyond School Bells will be working with our national partners to build an ecosystem of support for girls and underrepresented youth to engage with mentors, join engineering clubs and participate in new STEM learning opportunities.
Over the coming years, we will be sharing resources from national and local partners within several key focus areas:
- Equity & Inclusion: Support programs and STEM partners to understand the fundamentals of equity and access, putting into place effective practices and supports for change
- Engineering Mindset: Embed an invention/engineering mindset/problem solving methodology into afterschool and summer learning programming
- Role Models, Mentors, & Families: Support programs to foster the sustained involvement of families, mentors and role models as part of STEM work with youth
- STEM Pathways & Transitions: Help create successful “hand-offs” between program opportunities including work-based learning, post-secondary, etc.
If you are interested in following the mission, please go to: https://milliongirlsmoonshot.org/
FREE Webinars are led by Moonshot implementation partners, researchers, and practitioners to share effective strategies, best practices, and resources to engage more girls in STEM and engineering. Webinars also enable participants from across the country to connect, collaborate, and learn from one another. Click here for upcoming webinars and to access past recordings.
STEM Learning Resources
Equity and Inclusion
Role Models, Mentors, and Families
- The Power of Collaboration: A Toolkit for Role Models
- Make a Lasting Impact as a Mentor
- Changing the Game in STEM with Family Engagement
- Reimagining Family Engagement during COVID-19
STEM Transitions and Pathways